Located just minutes away from Washington, D.C., Prince George’s County offers easy access to the nation’s political, cultural and entertainment center. The vibrant Washington corridor boasts historical sites and museums, top universities and colleges, and a high quality of living.
Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS), one of the nation’s 20th largest school districts, has 198 schools and centers, more than 131,000 students and nearly 20,000 employees. The school system serves a diverse student population from urban, suburban and rural communities located in the Washington, DC suburbs. PGCPS is nationally recognized for college and career-readiness programs that provide students with unique learning opportunities, including dual enrollment and language immersion.
The Board of Education works to advance student achievement through community engagement, sound policy governance, accountability and fiscal responsibility. The school system’s highest priority is to prepare students to meet the demands of college and careers.
Our mission defines our purpose and the scope of our work. It communicates why we exist and what we hope to contribute to society:
Provide a transformative educational experience anchored by excellence in equity – developing 21st century competencies and enabling each student’s unique brilliance to flourish in order to build empowered communities and a more inclusive and just world.
Our vision paints the image of a premier educational environment that values the rich uniqueness of who we are as we develop and equip life-long learners, leaders, empowered proponents of justice and prosperous communities to thrive in the global society:
A culturally responsive district developing distinguished learners, leaders, voices of social justice, and advocates for humanity for the world of today, tomorrow, and beyond.
Our Core Values
Our core values articulate our key beliefs about students, learning, stakeholder responsibility, and the elements necessary to achieve equity and excellence in education:
- Students are our priority and all students can achieve at high academic levels.
- Families, students and educators share the responsibility for student success.
- High expectations inspire high performance.
- All staff share the responsibility for a safe and supportive school environment contributing to excellence in education.
- The support of everyone in our community is essential to the success of our schools and students, and this success enriches our community.
- Continuous improvement in teaching, leadership and accountability is the key to our destiny.
Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS) is poised for transformation.
The global pandemic of 2020 ushered in a new era of unprecedented change. It revealed pockets of untapped creativity and innovation, exposed challenges in our traditional concepts of equity, gave rise to creative teaching and learning models, and fundamentally transformed education paradigms.
The demand for equity and innovation in education is more significant now than ever before. Equity in PGCPS is ensuring each student has what they need to receive a student-centered education that empowers them to be active participants in their learning experience and contributors in creating and sustaining thriving communities.
As PGCPS considers this pivotal turning point in our society and in public education, the district reaffirms and documents its commitment to educational excellence in this PGCPS Strategic Plan.
Be Amazing. Be Inspiring. Be the Difference.
- Nationally-Recognized Professional Development: Third in the state for Nationally Board Certified Teachers. PGCPS leads the industry! Mentorship, monthly professional development and a robust leadership pipeline support teachers seeking to advance their careers.
- We Are #PGCPSPROUD: PGCPS is embarking on an ambitious new chapter of #PGCPSPride! Be a part of our journey!
- Innovation and Opportunity: Whether you choose to teach in one of our specialized programs or in a community school, you have options! Create a path aligned to your interests and enjoy cutting edge technology to bring your classroom to life!
- Location, Location, Location: Bordering the nation’s capital, we offer affordability and generous benefits including: laptop computers, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and incentives to serve in our high needs schools.
- Community-powered Schools: Strong ties with community partners, leaders, parent organizations and local colleges and universities help bring the community into your classroom! Our partners go above and beyond to invest in our schools.